Thursday, January 26, 2012

Bread and Jam for Frances

I have to say that I love First Favorites. Even if we did not home school I would likely be going through these guides while the kids were on break! They teach reading comprehension the sneaky way...through fun! (Vol. 1 even includes my very favorite children's book, A Chair For My Mother, among other goodies like If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.) The girls have loved reading the books together, then answering the questions and doing the activities. (Seleia sometimes wishes she could still do First Favorites instead of actual book reports....can't blame her!)  They listen closely to the stories to be able to answer all of the questions correctly, and are quite proud when they do. We've made a chair shaped bank, mouse shaped cookies, and learned all sorts of new things about some of their favorite stories (and some new stories, too!) So now it's Amarra's turn to be Frances for a few days. I'll probably make her some bread and jam.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You LOVED Bread and Jam for Frances when you were little. I am appalled, however, to hear that you hoe school.... I REALLY need a trip out there I guess! ♥

Jersey Knitting Mama said...

How Fun! Happy Friday!

Melanie said...

@ Mimi ♥....
Ha! And you automatically assume that hoe schooling isn't a gardening academy? For shame, for shame.....

Melanie said...

also @ Mimi,,,
I STILL love Bread and Jam for Frances and all Frances books! I can't eat my soft boiled eggs I love so much without thinking of my good friend Frances!